Turmeric is a root that has been used most commonly in India for thousands of years for its potent anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It is also served to add flavor, color, helping boost the immune system, for the common cold, to improve sleep, digestion and even relieving depression!
It is now believed that chronic, low-level inflammation is a major factor in several diseases including, cancer, Alzheimer’s, heart disease, and various degenerative conditions.
Turmeric also has many healing properties for the skin. Because it’s a natural anti-inflammatory and rich in antioxidants it helps reduces redness and other skin irritations. It’s antibacterial, so it’s great for blemishes, acne and skin balancing.
Curcumin in turmeric is utilized and absorbed better when taken with black pepper. Studies have shown a small amount of black pepper boosted absorption of curcumin up to 2000%
- Curcumin can inhibit many molecules known to play major roles in inflammation.
- Curcumin has beneficial effects on several factors known to play a role in heart disease. It shown to improve the function of the endothelium.
- Curcumin leads to several changes on the molecular level that may help prevent and perhaps even treat cancer.
- Curcumin can cross the blood-brain barrier and has been shown to improve in the pathological process of Alzheimer’s disease.
Turmeric Tea –Golden Milk Recipe
1. One cup of unsweetened organic coconut milk (organic milk, almond milk, or hemp milk- other options)
2. One to two tablespoons of organic turmeric powder
3. ¼ teaspoon of pepper
4. One Teaspoon of cinnamon
5. One Teaspoon of nutmeg (optional)
6. Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
7. One tablespoon of powdered stevia or drops of pure liquid stevia to taste
Mix one cup of unsweetened coconut milk, and additional ingredients into saucepan over medium heat for about six minutes, pour into couple and drink immediatly!
Turmeric powder & face mask
1. One tablespoon of turmeric powered
2. One tablespoon of organic milk and/or organic plain yogurt
3. One tablespoon of honey
4. One tablespoon of aloe (optional)
5. One tablespoon of rice flower (optional) great for adding thickness and exfoliate
Mix together in mixing bowl until texture is thick enough to smear on face without dripping off. Use spoon or brush to paint on face with hair pulled back. Let dry on face for 10-20 min. Rinse off with warm water. Turmeric stains! Be sure to use with caution and wipe off face with paper towel or dark cloth that may be stained yellow.
1. One cup of turmeric powder
2. One cup of clean/fresh water (not tap water)
3. One tablespoon of coconut oil
4. 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
Mix turmeric powder and water in saucepan. Stir for 5- 10 minutes over medium heat until you have a thick like paste. Add additional water along the way as needed. Add the freshly ground pepper and coconut oil while stirring. Paste will keep well in refrigerator for a few weeks and can be added to smoothies, curries, or choice of recipes.